Ecofarmer

re-settled in Hungary from Rochdale, Lancs, England, and into a little village, doing a bit of greenish farming hoping for a quiet life... but stuff just happens...

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

day 6: drama and drama...

It started well, after breakfast and the grand tour, Helen, the hostelguest asked if she could change into a wwoofer tomorrow, which is great! I'll have help now while Alan is away. I picked some beetroot to cook and pickle later, we had lunch, than today's English lesson and Zoltan took the girls to show Palkonya, this is becoming a routine program... meanwhile a bloke I found in the Golden Pages arrived from Boly to fix our blocked toilet in the guests' house, how embarrassing!
The girls were brought back early as the blackest clouds ever - with white stripes, appeared and suddenly a hailstorm - hails bigger than walnuts, rather frightening. The usual slates rained down, and then rain... it was over with blue skies in half hour, but there was a decent amount of rain. When I looked up th damage: a couple of square feet hole on the guesthouse roof, and loose on 3 more places. Panic and panic. I run up to Armin and managed to convince him to come over and he fixed most of them in 30 minutes, only
a few slightly loose places left to do and the missing ridge tile from the last storm. I gave him 5K HUF - the insurance is giving us 13K, they rang up. I pay him the rest when he fixes the rest.
Meanwhile the local dynoman couldn't get anywhere from the loo side, so he stared to do it from the septic tank side, and a mere 2 hours later - a breakthrough! He's still here, putting the toilet back as we speak, I made him a sandwich, he's been here for more than 4 hours... so, just maybe, things will end well... Anna's Jozsi locked up the geese and goats, the guests packed away the garden-furniture as the storm was breaking out... all exciting stuff (I was preoccupied with saving the drying washing of guests...
I wonder if the black cherries I wanted to collect tomorrow morning are still there... the hails were large, but not many of them, there is no damage visible in the lower garden. I'll go up the upper one early in the morning, I planned some hoeing... nearly 11pm now and the loo is not ready yet, should I worry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home