Ecofarmer

re-settled in Hungary from Rochdale, Lancs, England, and into a little village, doing a bit of greenish farming hoping for a quiet life... but stuff just happens...

Thursday, June 11, 2009

day 1 managing farm






well, as it was fairly eventful, I decided to blog every day while Alan is away... this way he'll also know what's happening, no need for long phone reports...
so, after a weirdly foggy/misty morning (you couldn't see the church) and the usual last minute getting things together before somebody travels, the wwoofermobil took me to Harkany after goodbyes to Alan. Arrived good and early, found rheuma hospital (you don't really wanna know - my Achilles tendon decided to thicken; after the ultrasound I was told I must have strained it sometime in the past, got a cream, it might go back to normal, or it might not, just one of those things that happen to old people)
anyway, I finished with all this just before 2, we had a lovely, pleasant meal in the terrace of one of the thermal spa restaurants. Wwoofers didn't feel like soaking in the spa, so we headed back to Siklos, where after getting poor dears to take me to Liddle for a big shop (we were running out of toilet papers!) they were rewarded with cakes in the cukraszda, again, sitting outside, weather being rather hot and stuffy by this time, making us sleepy, so we headed back home.
Which was a good idea, as a nice oz couple was waiting for us there, asking if they could stay in the hostel... so I quickly had to change the bedding Anna, the Canadian girl just left this morning, while nice wwoofers did all the packing out of all shopping. Nice to have a guest couple that isn't so unashamedly young then most wwoofers and hostelguests... they had their tea sitting outside, while I dutyfully watered the greenhouse, and decided not to water the rest as greyish clouds approached. I went over to the house and put away shopping etc - next thing I could hear the wind picking up. By the time I got out, lovely and quick thinking wwoofers locked in the chickens, closed the greenhouse. All I had to do was to lock the geese and goats and shout at wondering oz people to get inside. Which was a good idea, as we had again some roof tiles blown down with the mini tornado and cloudburst that came next. I was too frightened to go out to save the hanging basket flowers - but some of them managed to hang on...
after 30 minutes I went out to check for damage; so far I couldn't see more than the 2 tiles, have to check the other side from Nora's and the trees tomorrow; Anna rang up and asked if everything was ok, which is nice of her; her guests had tiles falling on their car and one of her apricot trees broke in half. I rang the insurance, sounds as rather than sending the nice roofer who done such a good job last time they want me to make pictures and pay us having the job done.
It'll cost them, I tell you...
I picked sweetcorns and 5 out of six was well ready, had them for tea, yummy. In mid-June! And, Martin, got tons of paranyica, there was an "akcio" in Liddle... some pictures from tornado-free yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home