Ecofarmer

re-settled in Hungary from Rochdale, Lancs, England, and into a little village, doing a bit of greenish farming hoping for a quiet life... but stuff just happens...

Sunday, August 16, 2009

high time





Had a nice trickle of guests and a couple of wwoofers, all nice as per usual. Even my sister made it for a tiny bit, bringing down glass jars for jams and other stuff in the making. I have to bottle things, the freezers are full to the brim, I have to sit on them to close them, even the upright one... anyway, experimental sorrel, lecso and aubergine jars have been done. We have our first successful okra, we had some stir-fried with paprika and aubergine yesterday, rather nice.
Done yellow plum and proper plums, about a dozen jars each. I'll do more tomato next... though space in larder is also running out, especially after the big shopping I had this week, Dodi took me.
We had our second japanese hostel guest, Eiko, who made friends with the geese - quite a feat, miserable beasts as they tend to be - 3 males I'm afraid, no wonder they are constantly fighting. But they are quite a feature now, make more noise than the dogs if anyone approaches.
When my sister was here, we had a rather lovely meal at Murphy's sitting outside. It was first time we managed to see the summer wednesday dance-house in front of the picturesque theatre in Pecs, it was "balkan" music and dance, with at least a hundred people joining in, a very jolly affair.
It is Sunday afternoon, Alan had a lift to his usual pub-outing, thus the peace and quiet to blog at last. I am again waiting for 5 one-nighter guests - from the UK so I had to stay here anyways...
Oh, the bad news: village tourism will be taxed from zero HUF next year, which wouldn't be too bad if we wouldn't have to hassle with filling forms and engaging accountants... well, we'll see how it goes. Alan, of course, has wonderful plans with new showers, composting toilets to keep him busy over the winter. Did I mention our brand new outside bench? Picture next time...
Even though it is very hot during the day (30C+), the evenings and the mornings are very pleasant, I took to sitting outside for an hour or so after my breakfast, before other people appear to have theirs. You can see my favourite view from my comfy chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home