Ecofarmer

re-settled in Hungary from Rochdale, Lancs, England, and into a little village, doing a bit of greenish farming hoping for a quiet life... but stuff just happens...

Friday, May 14, 2010

siberian berries



yes, didn't take long to harvest them... less than last time but slightly bigger fruits and they do have a, ahem, familar shape, or is it my lively imagination? They taste fairly nice, on the tart side.
The goji berry bush is trying to take over the raspberries, I have to fight them back. They had no berries on whatsoever last year, but they seem to be an aggressive plant - probably a weed in Tibet...
We have tons of lettuces, Alan of course planted them "in waves" but they insisted on growing in the same time. We have the beautiful reddish-lilac coloured with the wavy leaves that you just cut the leaves and they grow back. The green variety of this is my favourite. We also have rocketsalad (or rucola) it's really grown on me. Otherwise this year is a bit patchy, the sweet corn is not showing, but peas and beans are good.
We had 3 French people last night, they also joined us for the salad evening meal, and I received 4 kisses from each of them, I think they had a good time even though we had a bit of a problem communicating them being from the older generation when English teaching was not that favoured in France... But we were not exactly fluent in French either... Also we had full room in the Old Stables first time, we had 5 students, Erasmus exchange youngsters from the University of Veszprem, who decided to have a look round before heading back in a couple of weeks to their various homeplaces (Poland, Greece, Bosnia). Well, they loved it!! They were sitting outside merrily till late night, and said this morning, that they were very comfortable.
I am still coughing, I went down to see the local doc, but managed to just miss him at the Thursday surgery. I don't want antibiotics, unless my lungs' effected, but then I should have fever and poor appetite, and no such symptoms...
I am reading the Stieg Larsson Swedish crime stories "Millenium" and though fairly entertaining, I don't think they are outstanding, never mind.
I pushed discretely a couple of our Richard Dawkins books into easy reach of Alexander, got no reaction, but I don't think he reads much in English. I had to re-allocate bed for him as the stables were booked, he'll move back next week. He hasn't paid yet, he says he'll have money in June, and everyone think we are a bit mad, but I do think he won't do a runner... he can't really with all his stuff...
We had a pleasant meal on Wednesday in another new place "Crystal" but weren't well organised and forgot to get half the things we meant to in Pecs. Well, we did remember some...
Alan whitewashed the fruit tree trunks in Nora's garden and Gazsi insisted to mix in some anti-fungus stuff. This seems to be a Hungarian ceremonial thing. We couldn't find any useful properties for this procedure, the relevant websites say, this is a defence against the sun! I wasn't aware that trees could get sunburnt.
Got a proper letter fro Carolyn, and her life is totally back to normal, which is such a relief. She just had a holiday in Italy, and talked about Pecs in Sienna!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home